A CIB Student Chapter may be a local, regional, national or even international organised group of students, provided that those students are enrolled at CIB Member universities and preferably have an identifiable common interest in the work of one or more CIB Commissions* or Priority Themes. Examples of different types of CIB Student Chapters envisaged by the current CIB guidelines include, but are not limited to:
- Chapters with a membership based on one CIB Member university
- Chapters with a membership based on two or more CIB Member universities in the same country or region, with shared identifiable common interests (as described above) so as to be a regional or national Chapter
- Chapters with an international membership, based on CIB Member universities anywhere in the world, related to a CIB Commission and operating under the responsibility of that Commission.
* In this context a CIB Commission includes a Working Commission or a Task Group.
CIB University Members interested in forming a CIB Student Chapter may make a formal proposal to the CIB Programme Committee. Before doing that it may be helpful to consult Advice to Intending Student Chapters here .
The Guidelines for CIB Student Chapters can be downloaded via the link below.
The CIB Sebestyén Future Leaders Award (formerly the CIB Guyla Sebestyén Award)
The CIB Guyla Sebestyén Award was 'launched' for the first time in 2002, named after the former late CIB Secretary General Prof. Guyla Sebestyén (1980-1993).
CIB Student Chapters are invited to compete with proposals for projects that are in line with the CIB objectives for the yearly CIB Sebestyén Future Leaders Award. The Award provides support up to EURO 2500. A Call for Proposals is made in April or May each year.
Invitations from Commissions to Student Chapters wishing to enter a Proposal for the CIB Sebestyén Future Leaders Award
To see information from Commissions that have work that Student Chapters could do for them, see here . Once a Chapter has prepared a satisfactory Proposal, by negotiating with the relevant Commission, that Chapter can submit the Proposal as an entry for the CIB Sebestyén Future Leaders Award.
The relevant Commission will be asked to affirm its support of the Proposal and will subsequently be asked to comment on the outcome of the work specified in the Proposal.
Archive of Past Winners
- 2016: Winning Proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2015: Winning proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2014: Published outcomes winning project, Virginia Tech
- 2013: Winning proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2012: Published outcomes winning project, University of Salford
- 2011: Winning proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2010: Winning proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2008/'09: Winning proposal, Texas A&M University
- 2007: Winning proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2006: Winning proposal, Collaborating Universitys
- 2005: Winning proposal, Middle East Technical University
- 2004: Winning proposal, Glasgow Caledonian University/University of Strathclyde
- 2003: Winning proposal, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2002: Winning proposal, University of Salford
CIB news articles about Student Chapters can be found here
The following are currently registered as CIB Student Chapters
- Chile, Pontificia Universidad Católica de .., Department of Engineering and Construction Management, Chile
- Curtin University CIB Student Chapter
- Free State, Central University of Technology
- Georgia Institute of Technology, College of Architecture, United States
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Faculty of Construction and Environment, China P.R.
- Hong Kong, University of .., Faculty of Architecture, China P.R.
- Huddersfield University, School of Art, Design and Architecture
- Lisbon, Technical University of .., Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture (DECivil), Portugal
- LSBU - School of the Built Environment and Architecture, United Kingdom
- Mara, University of Technology .., Faculty of Architecture, Planning and Surveying, Malaysia
- Middle East Technical University (METU), Department of Architecture, Turkey
- Milan, Polytechnic of , Department of Building Environment, Science & Technology, Italy
- Porto, University, Faculty of Engineering - FEUP
- Purdue University - Department of Building Construction Management
- RMIT University, School of Property, Construction & Project Management, Design and Social Context College, Australia
- Salford, University of .., School of the Built Environment, United Kingdom
- Tsinghua University, School of Civil Engineering, Institute of International Engineering Project Management, China P.R.
- Virginia Tech, Polytechnic Institute and State University, United States
- ASOCSA-CIB - Association of Schools of Construction of Southern Africa
- Hungarian CIB Student Chapter